The law on this page only applies to you if you entered the UK before 1 January 2021, and from 1 July 2021 only you if applied to the EU Settlement Scheme by 30 June 2021: see further details.

What if I have worked in the UK but have now retired?

In certain circumstances you can acquire a permanent right of residence if you have worked in the UK but have since retired from the labour market. If you have a permanent right of residence you have the right to an allocation of housing from the council, to get help if you are homeless and to claim housing benefit to help pay your rent.  For more on this click here for England and Wales and here for Scotland.

Who has a right of permanent residence when they retire?

You will have a right of permanent residence if you have:

How is the length of my employment calculated?

In calculating the length of employment any period of involuntary unemployment registered with the Jobcentre, or period out of work due to illness, accident or some other reason 'not of your own making' will be treated as a period of employment.

In Scotland (but not in England and Wales) all EEA nationals with a right to reside are entitled to apply for local authority housing or homelessness assistance, whether covered by the worker and self employed rules or not. But the rules for housing benefit are different, and some rights to reside do not qualify you for housing benefit, or only do so if you are also habitually resident.