Skip to main content

CIH Scotland

New ArrivalsHousing Advisers

Welcome to the Housing Rights website provided by the Chartered Institute of Housing Scotland


'Right to rent' document checks 

Document checks may soon be required across the UK. Our guidance for migrants and for advisers gives the details for England and there is a separate page on Housing associations and 'right to rent' document checks.

Developments in the 'Brexit' negotiations

Brexit will bring massive changes in immigration rules, but they are likely to take some years to put in place. The housing rights website will be updated as soon as they happen. Check our What's New page regularly to keep up to date on Brexit and any new guidance available.

Syrian refugees

Look at What's New for information on refugees and how your organisation can help.

The housing rights website aims to provide accurate information to recent arrivals and to advisers in Scotland about entitlements to housing, based on people's immigration status.

If you're a housing adviser and you want information about the housing rights of new arrivals, please look first at the relevant pages below and the links to the legal provisions. For further help on common problems met by advisers, please click here.

Click here for information about Housing Rights in England & Wales.

The website has detailed information for different categories of new arrival. Please note:

  • a 'new arrival' may fall into more than one category so you may need to check different pages
  • we have tried to keep the language as simple as possible - but you can find the meaning of terms such as 'European Economic Area' on the relevant pages.

The categories of new arrival are described below and can also be seen by clicking the tabs at the top of each page.

Information for people who have been granted refugee status, people with discretionary leave, humanitarian protection and exceptional leave.
Information for people who have been granted indefinite leave to remain.

For people with work permits and people with limited leave.
For people from the European Economic Area and Switzerland who are workers or self-employed in the UK.

For people from the European Economic Area and Switzerland who are not working in the UK, but might be studying or are self-sufficient.
For family members of people from the European Economic Area or Switzerland who are in the UK and might be working or studying.

For migrants who are homeless without enough money to buy basic food or shelter.
For Irish and British nationals, including those returning to the UK from abroad.

For people who have arrived to join someone as a wife or husband, cohabiting with them or as a civil partner - and then can no longer stay in the relationship because of abuse.
Information for people with social care needs.

Glasgow Housing Association   Lintel Trust   Scottish Federation of Housing Associations   The Scottish Government

Background Topics

How can we improve housing for new migrants in the UK?

A Housing Practitioners' Guide to Integrating Asylum Seekers & Refugees

A Housing Practitioners Guide to Integrating Asylum Seekers and Refugees

Published by the Scottish Refugee Council with support from CIH Scotland

Chartered Institute of Housing