Skip to main content

CIH logo

New Arrivals

Self-sufficient EEA nationals

This page is for new arrivals. If you are a housing adviser please click here for information more relevant to you.

Who is 'self-sufficient'?

You are a self-sufficient EEA national with a right to reside if:

  • you entered the UK before 1 January 2021; and
  • you make (or have already made) an application to the EU Settlement Scheme before 1 July 2021; and
  • you can meet your own needs for accommodation and maintenance without receiving UK social assistance; and
  • you have comprehensive sickness insurance.

The only benefits that count as UK social assistance are the means-tested benefits: universal credit, housing benefit, income support, income-related employment support allowance, income-based jobseeker's allowance and council tax rebate. But claiming one of these does not automatically disqualify you as being self-sufficient – your personal circumstances must be considered (such as the amount of the award, your reasons for claiming and how long you are likely to be claiming for etc.). For example, if you have been resident for a number of years and never claimed until now, and you have claimed because your funds have been temporarily disrupted you might continue to be self-sufficient for the time being.

There is no requirement that your needs are met solely from your own resources, they could be met by family or friends, or from a work pension, or some combination of these. Even if you have very few resources, if you are managing without claiming mean-tested benefits, you are likely to be considered ‘self-sufficient’.

You meet the requirement for comprehensive sickness insurance if:

  • you were issued with a European Health Insurance Card in your home country together with a letter (called a statement of intent) confirming that you do not intend to stay in the UK permanently; or
  • you have private comprehensive sickness insurance; or
  • (in certain circumstances) you receive an invalidity or retirement pension from your home country (i.e. the EEA member state you migrated from).

For more information about your rights to a pension from your home state or the UK, see the Europa (Your Europe) website or contact the AIRE centre.


Chartered Institute of Housing

More Information

Chartered Institute of Housing