Skip to main content

CIH logo

New Arrivals

Who is eligible for a housing allocation or homelessness assistance?

This page is for new arrivals. If you are a housing adviser please click here for information more relevant to you.

To get help if you are homeless or to go on to the council housing register, you must be eligible. The law defines who is and is not eligible, in terms of immigration status and habitual residence. The law is different for people from within the European Economic Area (EEA) and the UK and those from elsewhere. 

Rules about who can actually apply for a housing allocation in England vary between local authority areas, because councils can set their own local rules about who can apply to be on a housing register or waiting list. In 2013, the government also issued guidance recommending that local councils require applicants for housing to have been resident for at least two years, but also to make exceptions for people with family or work connections to the area, among others.  Some councils have introduced new residence requirements, and in some cases the requirement is longer than two years. However, these rules cannot discriminate directly or indirectly against particular nationalities or ethnic groups (for more on this see the page on what is discrimination?).  Note: these rules and guidance do not affect homelessness assistance and do not apply to Wales

From 31st October 2014, the Welsh rules became the same as those in England. However, the previous Welsh rules apply where an application for a housing allocation was made to a local housing authority in Wales before 31st October 2014 (see below).

EEA nationals

To be eligible for housing, EEA nationals must have a right to reside in the UK:

People from outside the EEA

Citizens of countries from outside the EEA are generally subject to immigration control and need permission to enter or remain in the UK. The eligibility rules for England say that only some people subject to immigration control are eligible:

Most other people from outside Europe are not eligible for housing and homelessness help. Social services departments may be able to help some people (e.g. people with social care needs) get accommodation in emergencies. There are also special services for people fleeing domestic violence. There may also be some help available from charities for people who are homeless and destitute.

The rules for applications before 31st October 2014 in Wales

Any EEA national was eligible if s/he could pass the habitual residence test, and those who were covered by the rules on work and self-employment did not have to pass the test. People from Turkey and Macedonia who had a legal right to live in the UK and were habitually resident were eligible for a housing allocation and for homelessness help. People from Turkey and Macedonia are no longer eligible under the Welsh rules unless their applications were made before 31st October 2014.


Chartered Institute of Housing

Background Topics

Chartered Institute of Housing