Skip to main content

housing rights logoHousing rights information England & Wales

New ArrivalsHousing Advisers

What's new? - recent updates to the site

Changes in benefit entitlements during 2014

A number of changes have been made to benefit entitlements in the first four months of 2014. The website has been updated to take these into account.

Transitional restrictions on Bulgarian and Romanian nationals now ended

Transitional restrictions on nationals from Bulgaria and Romania were lifted on 31st December. The website has been updated to reflect the changes. They generally mean that Bulgarian and Romanian nationals can now claim housing benefit on the same basis as other EEA nationals. 

Helping destitute migrants

With support from the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, new pages have been added to the site aimed at helping destitute migrants. Click on the tab 'People who are destitute' for the pages for new arrivals, and also look for the detailed material on the equivalent adviser pages. Our thanks go to ten advice agencies in England and Scotland who helped us develop this new material.

Housing benefit for people whose funds are disrupted

The right to claim HB for up to six weeks for self-supporting households that experienced a temporary disruption of their funds ended on 29th October 2013.

If you spot anything else that needs updating, do please let us know - click Feedback to get in touch.


Recent publications

Below are recent publications for housing advisers which have been added to the site on the pages on 'What other organisations can help' or 'Other information for advisers', according to whether they are relevant to England or Scotland, or both.

Integration up North migration guides

Integration up North has published a series of eleven short guides to migration and migrants' entitlements. They are available from the Migration Yorkshire website. The series includes a guide on Migrants and Housing.

House of Commons Library publications

The House of Commons Library has produced various publications on migrants' eligibility for housing and other issues. The latest is EU Migrants: Eligibility to apply for social housing (England).

Housing allocation and homelessness: Law and practice

The standard textbook on housing and allocations is Housing Allocation and Homelessness: Law and Practice by Jan Luba and Liz Davies published by Jordans. This is an excellent and very detailed textbook including all legislation, regulations, codes of guidance, etc. A new edition was published at the end of 2012.





We welcome suggestions for updating the guidance on the Housing Rights website and for including links to relevant new sources of guidance or information.

Please email with any suggestions, making clear your message refers to this website.

Chartered Institute of Housing

Background Topics

Chartered Institute of Housing