Skip to main content

CIH Scotland

New Arrivals

Parents of EEA children in education

This page is for new arrivals. If you are a housing adviser please click here for information more relevant to you.

If the child of an EEA national:

  • starts a course of education in the UK, such as attending primary or secondary school, or beginning a college or university course and
  • a parent of that child has been, at some time when the child was in the UK, an EEA worker (including working while registered on the Worker Registration or Authorisation Schemes - for more on EEA workers click here for England and Wales or here for Scotland)

the child has the right to complete the course of education in the UK.

The child has the right to reside while finishing the course of education, and the parent or parents with care of the child (whether EEA citizens or not) also have the right to reside. There is no requirement that the child or parent/s in this case be self-sufficient.

For children in school, finishing a course of education means completing their compulsory school education.

When a child completes five years with this right to reside they get the permanent right to reside (and in some circumstances might get it earlier - for more on this see here for England and Wales and here for Scotland).

Background Topics

Chartered Institute of Housing Scotland